Kurt Slep, CEO of Slep-Tone Entertainment, spoke at length about how his company is acting to curb piracy, and how extensive the problem is. Some bullet points from his talk include:
- There are 45,000 karaoke venues, and most have not yet been investigated.
- Reporting piracy is easy – visit soundchoice.com to do so.
- KJ/Venues who settle their suits get solutions that allow them to continue operations.
- Lawsuits seem to drive sales, based on the numbers. Slep-Tone would prefer not to base their business model on suing people.
- Publishers – please help us prosecute the pirates using abandon-ware.
- There are affordable solutions – KJs don’t have to steal their music to stay competitive.
For more on Kurt’s talk, check back with us after the Summit has concluded.