Billboard has announced their annual Money Makers list and this year Taylor Swift took it to the bank with a $39 million outing. No surprise there with the meteoric success of her newest studio album, “Red,” and the fact that she earned an estimated $30M for six months worth of touring. Check out who took the other top spots.
10. Fleetwood Mac — The classic rock band pulled in an estimated $19 million with the release of their first new content in over ten years and a tour which earned the group a whopping $17M over just 34 shows.
9. Pink — With an album (“The Truth About Love”) which helped the singer earn over 8M digital downloads and an international tour that raked in more than $15M in the US leg alone, Pink is sitting pretty in 2014 with a $20 million price tag.
8. Luke Bryan — $22 million is certainly nothing to sneeze at! With more than 2.7M album sales, 7.6M digital downloads, a tour that brought in over $15M, and winning the 2013 CMA Entertainer of the Year award, Bryan had a banner year.
7. Maroon 5 — Last year’s impressive comeback by the L.A.-based alternative band with multiple sold-out live performances was impressive enough. Earning $22 million, having four singles make it into the top 20 on Billboard’s Hot 100, and selling more than 7M digital downloads makes it pretty damn amazing.
6. Beyonce — Yeah, like anyone didn’t think she would make the list. With the release of a surprise self-titled album which has sold more than 1.3M copies since December and a lengthy world tour that alone has earned the singer an estimated $19M, it’s no shock that Queen Bey is in the top ten. A strong outing at $24 million.
5. The Rolling Stones — Will they ever stop?! It doesn’t seem likely. The Stones earned an impressive $26 million this year, largely due to a tour which grossed a ridiculous $80M for just 15 shows! 1.5M digital downloads didn’t hurt, either.
4. Bon Jovi — “Because We Can” isn’t just the name of their most recent world tour, it’s a proclamation. They can and do continue to sell out wherever they go, grossing more than $200M in worldwide concert sales, the top-grossing tour of 2013. The rock legends‘ 12th studio album, “What About Now,” took the top spot on the Billboard 200 albums chart, also contributing to their $29 million year.
3. Justin Timberlake — After an 8-year lapse, Timberlake released a new double album (“The 20/20 Experience”) and it’s gone off like gangbusters! Sitting at a cool $31 million, the performer earned more than $5M from album sales alone, not to mention the fact that his “Legends of the Summer” joint tour with Jay Z raked in over $60M in only 14 shows… and he’s not done yet! Timberlake has headed out on his own headlining tour which will go through October 2014.
2. Kenny Chesney — Country music takes the top two spots as Chesney settles in at a huge $32 million. His sixteenth album, “Life on a Rock,” peaked at #1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart as his “No Shoes Nation” tour grossed approximately $90M for the year. Good enough for #2, but still a full $7M away from Taylor’s baby blues.